Hmong Tobacco-Free Program
HAP is committed to improving the health of the communities we serve. The Hmong Tobacco-Free Program is funded by a five year Tobacco-Free Communities grant from the Minnesota Department of Health.
Reduce and prevent youth tobacco use and address tobacco-related disparities in the Hmong community of Minnesota by promoting community-driven tobacco prevention and control activities and strategies.
- Identify and assess the community’s awareness of and need for culturally appropriate services and resources that leads to cessation of tobacco usage.
- Increase the community’s knowledge of and access to resources, support, and referrals of cessation services.
- Build a community of leaders engaged in dialogue and action towards tobacco prevention and cessation in their communities.
HAP will be conducting a community needs assessment consisting of community surveys, several focus groups and support from the community advisory council that will be focused on tobacco policy and the environment. Upon completion of the assessment, HAP plans to share the data with stakeholders and members of our communities. After, HAP will create community action plans with the community partnerships and develop a youth media campaign to support initiatives towards a tobacco-free generation.
Friday Youth Table Talk
Twice a month (every 2nd & 4th Fridays from 3-5PM), at our main HAP office on Arcade, HAP facilitates a youth group (high school age) with a purpose to provide a tobacco-free space for our youth to share challenges they face, learn life skills, and become health advocates. The youth will also learn the basic issues of tobacco and discuss tobacco use in traditional Hmong marriages and funerals.
Referrals of Cessation Services: Resources to help you or a loved one quit tobacco
In addition, HAP supports healthy behaviors and healthy lifestyle choices. If you or a loved one are thinking about quitting tobacco use, you can call 651-495-1504 or email email@example.com to connect with the HAP Tobacco Prevention Coordinator who provides resources to help you quit and conducts one-on-one motivational interviewing sessions to support you in quitting at your own pace.
- For more information on QUIT PLAN Services: https://www.quitplan.com/
- For more information about the TFC grant from MDH: http://www.health.state.mn.us/tfc
- For more information on quitting tobacco: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/hpcd/tpc/quit.html; https://www.quitplan.com/
For more information please contact:
Pa Xiong Vang
Tobacco Prevention Coordinator